New England Soups from the Sea
From Rhode Island to Maine—80 locally inspired seafood recipes that honor the coastal traditions of America’s northeast.
On sale March 8, 2022. Available for pre-order now!
A 2-for-1 Special Pre-Sale Offer!
Soups to Awaken Our Connection to the Sea
Few soups conjure as much New England nostalgia as clam chowder. But the northeast coast of America offers up so much more than this traditional favorite.
From clam chowder’s regional cousins in Rhode Island and Maine to the little-known Portuguese-style clam chowder to traditional staples like Lobster Bisque and Oyster Stew to fresh new flavors like Autumn Monkfish Soup and Mussels Dijonnaise Soup, this comprehensive cookbook will help expand your soup horizons and awaken the ancient connection to the sea.
Complete with 80 wide-ranging recipes for broths, stocks, chowders, bisques, stews, and boils, as well as 33 native fish and shellfish profiles, and advice on how to support your local fisherman, New England Soups from the Sea simultaneously embraces the locavore movement and sustainable seafood to help buoy your seafood knowledge both inside and outside the kitchen.
Paired with bright photography and the welcoming voice of a local New Englander, New England Soups from the Sea boils all the charm of a seaside town into delicious, warming flavors.
Pre-order your copy now!
A Look Inside New England Soups from the Sea
18 Chowder Recipes from New England’s Past and Future!
- 6 regional clam chowders including Rhode Island’s dairy-free chowder and a completely new style of chowder from Connecticut
- 6 fish chowders including the Classic New England Whitefish Chowder and a luscious Bluefish Chowder with Cherry Tomatoes
- 6 shellfish chowders including a succulent Lobster Corn Chowder and a Mussel Chowder with Fennel
27 Simple Brothy Soup Recipes to Inspire Your Love of the Sea
- Old-school New England favorites including Oyster Stew, Maine Lobster Stew (pictured), and a seafood-inspired take on Portuguese Kale Soup
- Creative new flavors including a New England-Style Hot and Sour Soup with Scallops and a Pesto Noodle Soup with Striped Bass
- Learn to diversify and expand your seafood choices with recipes that include 12 species of New England fish and 8 species of New England shellfish.
9 Luscious Seafood Bisques
- Demystify making bisques at home with simple instructions and guidelines. Traditional favorites include Lobster Bisque (pictured) and Crab Bisque.
- Quick and easy recipes including Scallop Bisque with Sage and a Salmon Bisque with Dill.
- Includes a simple technique to make all bisques gluten-free!
10 Seductive Symphonies of the Sea
- Learn how to make classic stews and medleys that meld multiple types of seafood, vegetables, herbs, and spices into some truly magnificent dishes.
- 5 New England-style medleys including Cioppino and Zarzuela
- 5 zesty Portuguese stews from New England’s southern coast including a Simple Portuguese Clam Stew (pictured)
- Includes guidelines to improvise any stew recipe and tweak it to your taste!
8 Boil Recipes for Festive Feasts and Special Occasions
- Features a Traditional New England Clam Boil with potatoes, onions, corn, and sausage (pictured)
- Includes a simple Midwestern-inspired Fish Boil featuring local New England fish (and lots of lemon and butter!)
- Includes a seasonal clam boil recipe that can be tweaked four different ways to suit all four seasons!
8 Sublime Seafood Broths and Stocks
- Learn why seafood broths are easier and more affordable to make than chicken and beef broths.
- Includes simple guidelines for sourcing and preparing each type of broth and stock
- Recipes include Fish Stock, Lobster Stock, Crab Stock, Clam Broth (pictured), and Mussel Broth
- Includes time-saving techniques as well as suitable store-bought substitutes
About the Author
Craig Fear is a food writer and cookbook author. His extensive travels in southeast Asia kickstarted his love of broth and soup over 20 years ago. They eventually led to his first two cookbooks, Fearless Broths and Soups and The Thai Soup Secret.
Craig grew up on the coast in the northeast and has traveled to Cape Cod every year for over two decades, sampling every style of seafood soup he could find. He also lived briefly in the seaside town of Homer, Alaska, where he learned he was more adept at writing about seafood than catching it.
He now lives in Southampton, Massachusetts, and shares recipes on his website, Fearless Eating.
Pre-Order Your Copy of
New England Soups from the Sea!
Don’t forget the special 2-for-1 offer in the video above!
On sale March 8, 2022. Now available for pre-order at any of the following outlets: