This time of the year, broth and eggs for breakfast is a staple for me. It’s exactly what my body craves during the cold, frosty mornings of late fall and winter.
There’s SO MANY WAYS to take a bowl of rather plain tasting broth and in the span of a few minutes, transform it into a deeply nourishing and tasty breakfast.
You can add in all sorts of herbs, spices, seasonings, and different types of protein and starches to give it a hearty boost.
To show you how easy it is, here’s a simple video of the most basic recipe for broth and eggs from the “Broth for Breakfast” section of my book, Fearless Broths and Soups.
1. Bring broth to a simmer
2. Add in eggs and simmer a few minutes until whites are cooked but yolks are still soft
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper and top with parsley and Parmesan cheese
It’s so easy isn’t it? Here’s one more for a simple variation…
1. Bring broth to a simmer and add in ginger, garlic and simmer a few minutes, longer if you have time, to further infuse garlic and ginger flavor.
2. Add in eggs and kale and simmer a few minutes until eggs are cooked and kale is thoroughly wilted.
3. Season to taste with soy sauce or fish sauce.
Tips and Variations
1. If time, saute the ginger and garlic in some olive, sesame or coconut oil for a few minutes and then add them into the broth. This will release the flavors a little better than just plopping them in after the broth is simmering.
2. Add in some chili peppers or hot sauce for an extra kick.
3. Add in a dab or two of sesame oil at the end.
And many other types of broth-based meals including chapters on:
Craig Fear is the creator of Fearless Eating and the author of three books, The 30-Day Heartburn Solution, Fearless Broths and Soups and The Thai Soup Secret. After years helping clients with digestive issues, Craig decided to pursue writing full-time. He intends to write many more books on broths and soups from around the world! Click here to learn more about Craig.
Fish Broth: How to Make It, Best Brands, and Substitutes
How to Make a Wild Salmon Chowder