Looking for a good holiday soup recipe?
I have a great one for you today. It’s more of a “between Christmas and New Year’s” holiday soup recipe but it definitely fulfills my four criteria for any winter holiday soup recipe – rich, creamy, nourishing and absolutely delicious.
This recipe comes from my book, Fearless Broths and Soups, and is part of the creamy vegetable soups chapter.
Seriously, it is UNBELIEVABLE. It is so good that once you make it, you’ll never buy another can of Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup ever again.
It’s just impossible.
That’s because as opposed to Campbell’s version (and other store-bought versions), which uses flavorings such as MSG, yeast extract and “flavoring” (a food industry ingredient that really means “artificial flavors”), this recipe contains the actual real natural mushroom flavor from actual real mushrooms.
Real parmesan cheese, real bone broth and you know, other actual real ingredients make this recipe, well… REALLY good.
Mushrooms, herbs, parmesan cheese and a homemade bone broth creates a super rich and nourishing soup for the colder months.
1. Adjust creaminess as desired by adding slightly more or less broth, cream and/or flour.
2. Use any mushrooms you want or use a blend of different mushrooms! Medicinal mushrooms in particular, are great to boost immunity during winter. Medicinal mushrooms include shiitake, lion's mane, turkey tail and hen of the woods.
3. Use thyme or dill in place of tarragon.
4. Skip the parmesan if need be. However, unless you have a dairy allergy or sensitivity, this would be an egregious offense!
My book, Fearless Broths and Soups, contains many more creamy vegetable soup recipes including:
– Butternut Squash Soup with Gorgonzola Cheese and Pears
– Creamy Carrot-Apple Soup with Cinnamon
– Creamy Beet Soup with Sour Cream and Chives
– Asparagus Chowder
It also includes many other recipes for things like Asian noodle soups, simple sausage and meatball soups and fish-broth based soups and chowders.
Craig Fear is the creator of Fearless Eating and the author of three books, The 30-Day Heartburn Solution, Fearless Broths and Soups and The Thai Soup Secret. After years helping clients with digestive issues, Craig decided to pursue writing full-time. He intends to write many more books on broths and soups from around the world! Click here to learn more about Craig.
And learn how an ancient, simple food is a much healthier and safer option to drugs.